Family-friendly & Fabulously Festive
Enjoy an easy, fabulous & festive cold-weather side dish during the week or as beautiful addition to your holiday table. The taste combination of the roasted Brussels sprouts with the crunchy walnuts, smokey bacon, and sweet cranberries will have everyone clamoring for more! It also looks pretty on the table, a plus if you’re hosting a buffet-style gathering.
There’s not a lot to this recipe. It’s easy-peasy, starting with the prep. For quick clean-up, line a rimmed baking pan with aluminum foil. Prep the sprouts by cutting off the stem, removing the outer leaves, and cutting them in halves.
Kitchen Hack #1: Cutting raw bacon
Use a kitchen scissor (my preference) or a sharp knife and cut the bacon into small pieces. Kitchen hack: It’s much easier to work with cold bacon than bacon at room temp! Combine the sprouts, bacon, dried cranberries, walnuts, seasoning, and oil in a medium bowl. Gently stir to cover all the ingredients thoroughly.
Kitchen Hack #2: Correct oil for roasting
Kitchen hack: Resist the temptation to use olive oil in recipes where the oven temp is higher than 350˚F – it will smoke! That’s why the recipe calls for canola oil. Vegetable oil works great, too but stay away from olive oil.
Bringing it all together
Pour the mixture onto the lined baking pan and place in a preheated 400˚F oven and let bake for 20-25 minutes. I like stirring them up about halfway through, but it’s not required. You want the spouts to be beautifully caramelized and the bacon cooked.
Take care not to overcook; no one wants to eat burnt walnuts! The cranberries will get a little charred; that’s fine. They will still deliver a bite of sweetness. Enjoy!
Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon, Walnuts and Dried CranberriesCourse: Vegetable, SidesCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
Brussels sprouts take on a festive flavor when roasted with bacon, walnuts, and cranberries perfect for holiday entertaining. Quick prep and easy clean-up make this a fun and easy way to get your veggies during the week
1 pound brussels sprouts (approx 15 sprouts depending on size)
1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 pound bacon (6-8 slices), chopped – RAW
1 cup walnuts
1/2 cup dried cranberries
salt and pepper to taste
Optional: crushed red pepper flakes
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 400˚F. Clean and trim the Brussels sprouts and cut them in half. Chop or cut the bacon into small pieces. Line a baking sheet pan with aluminum foil.
- Place the sprouts, bacon, walnuts, and cranberries in a medium bowl. Add oil and stir until well coated. Pour mixture onto the foil-lined pan and season with salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper, to taste.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until brussels sprouts begin to brown.
- Dried Cranberries: substitute raisins or dried apricots
- Walnuts: substitute almonds, pecans, pistachios, or pine nut
- Canola oil: Vegetable oil can be used. Do not use olive oil, it will smoke!
- Zhoosh it up by adding a sprinkle of crushed red pepper before serving