Kick-off the weekend with a fun breakfast
Kick-off Labor Day Weekend, or any weekend, with a fun and delicious breakfast casserole. The kids (and kids-at-heart) will be rushing to the table when you tell them you’re serving Tater Tots for breakfast! While I will admit, I’m not a huge Tater Tot fan; this was a fun dish to make and to eat. If you are feeding a crowd, this effortless recipe is easily doubled. It also can be assembled the night before and popped in the oven the next morning so that you can sleep in a little longer.
I buy Tater Tots in a 32-ounce bag. A half bag will easily feed four people. You can use left-over ham, slice up deli sandwich ham slices or get a package of diced ham. I like getting packaged diced ham as it’s always good in scrambled eggs, omelets, salads, or to zhoosh up canned baked beans. Shredded cheese is another item that has multiple uses during the week. I stock up on shredded cheese whenever it’s on sale. I used Colby Jack cause that’s what was in the fridge this week. Any type of shredded cheese (cheddar, Mexican mix, Italian mix, mozzarella) will work.
My kids are “big kids.” They like onions and peppers, so I included those ingredients in my version. I like the color, texture, and flavor they add, but they are not necessary, which is why I designated them as “optional.” Likewise, if you feel creative, go ahead and throw in sliced mushrooms, minced garlic, bell pepper, even zucchini. While Half & Half works best, you can substitute milk, if necessary.
5 minute prep
The prep takes minutes, mostly to chop up the optional veggies. The baking pan needs a coat of non-stick spray before lining it with a layer of the Tater Tots.
Whisk up the eggs and stir in the Half & Half, ham, cheese, veggies, and seasoning. Save half the cheese and a couple of ounces of the ham to use as the topping. Pour the egg mixture on top of the potatoes and sprinkle on the remaining cheese and ham.
Bake & serve
Bake for 40-45 minutes in a preheated oven and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
I recommend serving with sliced oranges. The bright color makes the plate pop, and the fresh citrus beautifully compliments the saltiness of the ham. Enjoy!
Easy Tater Tot Breakfast BakeCourse: BrunchCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
Easy Tater Tot Breakfast Bake serves up potatoes, ham, eggs, and melty cheese in every delicious bite bringing out the kid in us all!
6 large eggs
2 cups Coby Jack cheese, shredded (divided)
1/4 cup Half & Half
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 package frozen Tater Tots (16oz)
8 oz diced ham, divided
Optional filling: ½ onion, chopped; 1 teaspoon minced jalapeno pepper
Optional garnish: parsley flakes
- PREP: Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8½ x 11-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Whisk together eggs in a large bowl. Add 1 cup of the shredded cheese, 6 ounces diced ham, Half & Half, salt, and pepper to the eggs and stir to mix.
- Arrange Tater Tots in an even layer in a prepared baking dish. Pour egg mixture evenly over Tater Tots. Top evenly with the remaining cup of shredded cheese and diced ham. Bake in preheated oven until set and cheese is golden brown, 40 to 45 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes.
- The recipe can be easily doubled to feed a crowd, use a 9×13 pan
- Diced ham: cooked crumbled breakfast sausage can be substituted
- More optional fillings: sliced mushrooms, sweet mini peppers, and minced garlic
- Half & Half: Whole milk can be substituted
Don’t miss a single recipe!
Check out these brunch & recipes…
2 thoughts on “Easy Tater Tot Breakfast Bake”
great recipe, Jane!