I’m a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for Associates to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Meaning, at no additional cost to you, I may make a commission if you click through and make a purchase. Thank you for shoppingJump to Recipe
Zippy – Zesty – ZING. That’s how to best describe the cauliflower’s flavor after it is introduced to vinegar, spices, garlic cloves, a few hot peppers, and allowed to hang-out for a day to two. Oh, I forgot what’s most important – it’s a mouthful of DELICIOUS. I’m a huge fan of refrigerated pickled veggies, and this spicy reinvention of cauliflower is the best yet. The brine is a simple mixture of white and cider vinegar combined with salt, sugar, and spice. The beautiful golden hue is courtesy of turmeric, a bright yellow spice that is common in curries. The 3 hot peppers (choose from Thai, Jalapeno, Serrano, Habanero, or Chili) provide a kick of heat. The cloves of garlic are the perfect companion to the crunchy cauli. Best of all, you can whip this up in less than 15 minutes. It couldn’t be any easier.
If you are so inclined, invite other crunchy veggies to join in on the fun. Carrots, radishes, and onions are great additions to the basic recipe. Get in touch with your creative self and have a little fun with the spices. I’ve done variations that included dill, both fresh sprigs, and dried seeds. I’ve also played with adding a bay leaf, allspice berries, and flaked red pepper. It’s all good.
I like serving Simple Spicy Pickled Cauliflower as a snack with a couple of crackers. It is also a great way to zhoosh up a simple salad or sandwich. Why wait? Add some zip, zest, and zing to your meal plan today!
Spicy Pickled CauliflowerCourse: Sides, snackCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
3pint size jars
Add some zip, zest, and zing to your meals with quick & easy refrigerator pickled veggies. It’s the most fun you’ll ever have eating cauliflower!
1½ cups water
1 cup white vinegar
1 cup apple cider vinegar
¼ cup white sugar
2 tablespoons salt
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
2 teaspoons mustard seed
2 teaspoons coriander seeds
1 (2 pound) cauliflower, cut into florets
3 hot peppers, seeded and sliced (Thai, Jalapeno, Serrano, Habanero, Chili)
6 cloves garlic, peeled
- Stir mixture and remove from heat and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes
- While vinegar mixture is cooling, evenly divide cauliflower florets, sliced peppers, and garlic cloves between 3 pint-sized (2 cup) jars.
- Pour mixture into jars making sure to get an even distribution of spices. Let jars cool completely before closing with lids. Place jars in the refrigerator and marinate for 24 -48 hours. Flavor deepens as it sits and will be at it’s peak in about a week.
- Rice vinegar can be used in place of white vinegar
- Use a spoon to scoop spice seeds that congregate at the bottom of the saucepan and distribute in jars
- Three peppers, any hot variety, will produce a substantial amount of heat! If you aren’t into heat, you can omit the peppers or use sweet peppers and still have delicious pickled cauliflower
- Keeps fresh in the fridge for 3-4 weeks
One thought on “Simple Spicy Pickled Cauliflower”