I’m a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for Associates to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Meaning, at no additional cost to you, I may make a commission if you click through and make a purchase.Jump to Recipe
Heart Puffs define the concept of Impress Not Stress cooking! These melt-in-your-mouth nibbles look like you spent hours in the kitchen. In reality, this three-ingredient appetizer takes only a few minutes to cut out the hearts from a sheet of puff pastry, brush with a little egg and sprinkle on seasonings. Pop in the oven for 15 minutes, and BOOM – you have delicious golden puffs of flavor that won’t ruin anyone’s appetite for dinner.
Puff Pastry is a marvelous invention that lives in the freezer section of your grocery store. I buy the store brand, the quality is comparable to the brand name. A box usually contains 2 sheets. It will need to be thawed before use so it is pliable. Puff pastry works best cold. You don’t want it at room temperature – it gets too sticky. I sprinkle a little flour on a cutting board to prevent any sticking. If you work really fast, you don’t need the flour – but I hate to chance it. As this is for Valentine’s Day, I’m using a heart cookie cutter. I make Star Puffs for Patriotic celebrations, using a star cookie cutter.
This recipe requires one egg that is beaten with a whisk or a fork. This creates an egg wash, which is used to make the pastry golden brown. It is also the “glue” that adheres the toppings to the pastry’s surface. A pastry brush is the easiest way to apply the egg wash. However, if you don’t have one, just wad up a paper towel, dip it in egg and gently spread it over the pastry. The goal is to apply an even thin layer of the egg wash.
I love Everything Bagel Seasoning – along with the flavor, I like the way it looks. I’ve also used Italian Seasoning and experimented with creating my own mix of seasoning using paprika, garlic, rosemary, and oregano. Zhoosh your hearts with a sprinkle of grated cheese (parmesan, cheddar) and some fresh herbs. The puff pastry makes an excellent base for all sorts of flavors, including cajun, taco, chili, hickory, or lime. You could also go sweet instead of savory with apple pie spice. Have fun with it!
Heart PuffsCourse: AppetizersDifficulty: Easy
These 3 ingredient, quick and easy, heart-shaped appetizers pop with flavor and melt in your mouth.
1 sheet Puff Pastry
1 Egg – beaten
Everything Bagel Seasoning
Heart shaped cookie cutter
- Roll out pastry sheet on a light floured surface to prevent sticking
- Cut a sheet of puff pastry with a heart-shaped cookie cutter.
- Arrange the hearts on a silicone mat or parchment-lined baking pan
- Brush a little of the beaten egg and generously sprinkle with Everything Bagel Seasoning
- Bake at 375 degrees for 12-15 minutes until puffed and golden in color
- Puff Pastry is found in the freezer section of your grocery store. A box usually contains 2 sheets. It must be thawed before use. Puff pastry works best cold – it gets sticky at room temp.
- If you don’t have an egg, olive oil will also work
- A pastry brush is a worthwhile kitchen gadget, but a wadded up paper towel will work in a pinch. Dip the paper towel in the egg wash and gently spread on the pastry.
- Any type of seasoning will work! Italian, cajun, taco, chili, hickory, or lime or create your own blend. You could also go sweet instead of savory with apple pie spice, Zhoosh your hearts with a sprinkle of grated cheese (parmesan, cheddar) and some fresh herbs.
- Heart-shaped cookie cutters are great for Valentine’s Day, birthday’s, showers and date night. A star cutter works for Patriotic holidays and other celebrations.