This is a standard go-to recipe! It’s so easy and very flexible. Ingredient amounts can be easily modified for any amount of chicken. While I recommend dark meat, this recipe works just as well with chicken breast. I coat the chicken with mayo for additional moisture, but it’s optional. The dry coating can be all flour, if you don’t have bread crumbs. Customize your spices to your taste. Any combination works! If you have Creole Seasoning, that adds a little zing! Italian Seasoning is also good. (Use a blended mix in place of the listed spices.) This is a no-stress main course. It’s not fancy but will always taste great. Amp up the Impress-O-Meter with your side dishes.
Jane’s Oven Fried ChickenCourse: Main, Dinner, LunchCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
One package of 5-6 Chicken Drumsticks or Chicken Thighs (skin-on or skinless)
¼ Cup Flour
¼ Cup Bread Crumbs
2 Teaspoons Salt
1 Teaspoon Pepper
1 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
½ Cup oil (Canola, Olive, Vegetable)
Optional: 1 Teaspoon of additional spice or spices: Oregano, Garlic powder, Onion Powder, Paprika, Ground Rosemary
Optional: 2 Tablespoons Mayonnaise (or Miracle Whip)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Pour ½ cup oil in bottom of a small (8×11, 9×9) oven-proof baking dish, metal or disposable pan or cast iron skillet. Place pan in oven while preheating oven to heat oil.
- In a plastic bag, combine flour, bread crumbs, and spices
- If using Mayo, using hands, coat chicken with a thin layer. Add chicken to plastic bag of flour/crumbs/spices to thoroughly coat each piece.
- Using oven mitts or pot holders remove pan from oven when preheated. Place chicken in hot pan using a fork or tongs. Oil should sizzle.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, turn chicken with fork or tongs, and bake additional 20-25 minutes.