I love making fresh cranberry sauce but I’m the only one who eats it so I make a half recipe (a half bag of cranberries). I created this recipe to use up the remaining cranberries! I love the flavor combination of blueberry and cranberry. The berry filling is very flexible – you could use all or any combination of fresh or frozen cranberries, blueberries, raspberries or even cherries. I like playing with the flavors, for extra zhoosh add a lemon or orange zest and, some additional spices (if you have them in the pantry). This scores high on the Impress-O-Meter and because it’s easy to make it, it scores low on stress. Best served warm with vanilla ice cream.
Jane’s Cran-Blue Berry CrispCourse: DessertCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
6 oz (half a bag – 1½ cups) fresh or frozen cranberries
6 oz (1½ cups) fresh or frozen blueberries
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup orange juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Optional: ½ teaspoon almond extract
Optional: Zest of one orange or lemon
1 cup old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup melted butter or coconut oil
1/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon (a pinch) salt
Optional: ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
Optional: ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease one 9 x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Filling: Stir berries, brown sugar, orange juice, vanilla and almond extract and orange zest together in a large bowl until evenly combined. Set aside
- Topping: Stir oats, nuts, brown sugar, melted butter, flour, salt and cinnamon together in a separate large bowl until evenly combined. Set aside.
- Pour the filling into the baking pan. Sprinkle evenly with the topping.
- Bake for 45 – 50 minutes, or until the berries are bubbling and the topping is lightly golden. Remove from the oven and rest on a cooling rack for 5 minutes.